I don't think I've ever written such a long blog title, but it works!
One of the most important characteristics of all the raised container gardens presented here is that they are all portable!
When you live in an apartment or townhouse it's helpful to have portable gardens so that you can use your patio or balcony more efficiently.
If you are entertaining and need more space for furniture, roll your gardens out of the way!
Temporarily, of course.
Let's take a look at some gardening options for apartment and small space gardeners.
1. The Home Allotment Planting Bags by Burgon & Ball
Don't let the beautiful willow basket fool you! Soil will not bleed through the wicker slots because there is a "grow bag" inside the basket.
The planting bags come in three sizes for different plants: Herb Planting Bag, Salad Planting Bag, Vegetable Planting Bag & Potato Planting Bag.
You guessed it, the potato planting bag is the deepest.
I recommend that these allotment planting bags be set on top of a 1 or 2" inch layer of pea gravel to lift the bottom of the baskets away from standing water.
A less expensive alternative to this stylish system is to grow your vegetable directly in an open bag of soil or even a potato chip bag!
Yes, you can even grow tomatoes with their deep root systems this way.
The roots will spread laterally.
2. Self-Watering Stacking Planters by Nancy Jane
These sturdy stacking containers can be stacked up to 10-tiers high.
That's a lot of planting space and the system is self watering for extra appeal.
Excess water from the top levels drain to lower levels where the water is caught in a removable tray.
I appreciate the rolling casters on these stacking planters so the garden can be moved around.
Vertical gardening is a smart approach when lateral space is at a minimum.
3. Eleanor's Garden ("Just Add Water") Raised Container Gardens
What sets Eleanor's Garden apart from the other two is this container garden comes with the soil and seeds!
The "gardener," (and I use the term loosely), just has to water the instant vegetable garden.
Eleanor's Garden is a complete, compact and portable garden kitchen that is delivered to your door.
Anyone can assemble the garden bed in less than an hour and the proprietary drainage system lets you garden in a variety of locations.
If you are into modern or contemporary design, the clean lines of Eleanor's Garden may appeal to you.
Here is some more information on this instant garden as presented on Eleanor's Garden website:
- 1 garden bed 24 x 24 x 8" that provides 4 square feet of gardening space
- 1 Quick-Start Guide Instructions for quick and easy assembly
- Coconut Peat growing medium – No need to drag bags of soil home from the nursery
- 2 square foot dividers provide a total of 4 individual square feet of gardening space
- 4 packets of vegetable seeds. Plant a different vegetable in each of the 4 square feet
- 4 legs Makes raised bed gardening easy
- 1 drainage field mat Made from non-woven 100% recycled plastic, the lightweight mat creates even, thorough drainage and allows oxygen to reach the vegetable roots.No need for rocks!
- 1 drain outlet. Allows recycling of water. Collect the runoff and use it again for your next watering
- 1 watering cup. Makes it easy to water individual square foot sections as needed
- 1 drainage connector. Allows you to connect the drainage systems of separate boxes
- 3 drain plugs. Let you control which side of the box your water will drain. Great for balconies so you won't flood your neighbors below
CLEVER IDEA ALERT:
For those of you who like to recyle or repurpose materials, take a look at my "Recyled Wood Tree Box as Raised Vegetable Planter" post on my Foodie Gardener blog!
Landscape tree boxes can be found for free, (or cheap) at landscape projects.
22 Responses to “Portable Raised Garden Beds for the Urban Square Foot Gardener”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.